NAIOP Chicago Issues Legislative Update – January 2014
I am privileged once again this year to be serving as the Chair of NAIOP Chicago’s Legislative Committee. I personally believe that NAIOP Chicago is the leading voice in public policy education and advocacy for the commercial real estate industry in Illinois. I also believe we can strive together to do an even better job, and, given the state of politics and the serious fiscal and economic threats we are facing in Illinois, I believe we owe it to ourselves to do an even better job.
With that in mind, I am proposing the following initiatives for 2014, which I believe can and will make our legislative affairs efforts even more effective:
- Complete a 2014 NAIOP Chicago Legislative Advocacy Strategic Plan. Its purpose will be to define our program, evaluate our strengths and weaknesses and develop a clear and achievable plan to further strengthen our position as the leading public policy education and advocacy group for the commercial real estate industry in Illinois.
- Publish a new 2014 NAIOP Chicago Public Policy Statement, which will specifically define our legislative education and public policy advocacy goals for 2014.
- Publish a brand-new, 2014 Impact of the Commercial Real Estate Industry on the Local Economy Report, which will demonstrate the importance of the commercial real estate industry as a key driver for economic activity and for job preservation and growth in the overall Illinois economy.
- Vigorously pursue the agenda outlined in the 2014 NAIOP Chicago Public Policy Statement by educating our industry leadership, our board members and our members, seeking alliances with like-minded organizations, initiating grass roots lobbying campaigns and writing letters and calling on our legislators on behalf of NAIOP Chicago, and, if warranted, seeking financial support from the NAIOP Chicago PAC to help promote our 2014 legislative agenda.
- Form a brand new, broadly representative Committee of NAIOP Chicago members, leaders and, especially, our Developing Leaders, who are interested in playing a greater role in serving NAIOP Chicago and the commercial real estate industry for whom we advocate.
I appreciate, once again, the opportunity to serve you, and I look forward to your support this year. If you have any further questions or are interested in joining the brand new Legislative Committee or otherwise supporting our legislative affairs efforts, please do not hesitate to contact me at 312-386-7154 or email me.
Kevin D. Matzke, Clarius Partners, LLC
Chair, NAIOP Chicago Legislative Committee
For more information about NAIOP Chicago’s Legislative actions, visit NAIOP Chicago.