Meet a NAIOP Chicago Developing Leader | Stacy Weaver
Name: Stacy Weaver
Position: Development and Acquisitions Associate
Education: Indiana University
Years in Real Estate: 6
1. What led you to work in the Real Estate industry?
My father has been a significant influence in my decision to pursue a career in commercial real estate. His deep knowledge, passion, and success in the industry have inspired me to explore a career in this field. From a young age, I was interested in pursuing a career in business and after taking my first real estate course at Indiana University, I knew that it was a great fit for me. Currently, I work at Hines on the industrial team covering development and acquisitions across the Midwest.
2. Who has been the biggest influence in your career?
My father – he has not only been a great influence professionally but also personally. It was inspiring to grow up around someone who not only worked hard but loved his career and the people he was working with. He has always been my biggest supporter, especially as a young woman in this field. He has been a great sounding board as I navigate through my career.
3. Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
I’m excited to continue to grow my career in industrial acquisitions and development, specifically here in the Chicago market. As we continue to build our industrial team at Hines, I aspire to take on more of a leadership role.
4. How long have you been involved with NAIOP and what do you view as the benefits of your NAIOP Developing Leader membership?
I have been involved with NAIOP Chicago for the past two years. The organization has been instrumental in growing my professional network and connecting me with like-minded leaders in the market.
5. What is the most important lesson you have learned during your career?
Having a great attitude and being open to new opportunities goes a long way. I have worked on a large variety of real estate assets throughout my short career – office, multifamily, medical office, life science, senior housing, student housing, a most recently industrial. My experience has provided me with a well-rounded skillset and ultimately led me to a sector I’m very passionate about.
6. What is the best piece of professional advice you have been given?
The first few years in the industry are like drinking from a fire hose; continue to learn, put yourself out there, and never be afraid to ask questions.
7. What characteristics do you consider most important in your role and in the industry?
Integrity, authenticity, and a strong work ethic. Good people want to work with good people!
8. Outside of work, how do you enjoy spending your time?
I’m happiest spending time with family and friends in Michigan, trying new restaurants in Chicago, reading a good book and traveling to new destinations.
9. Where is your “hidden gem” location in Chicago?
Topo Gigio – the secret’s out but it’s an absolute gem that’s a longtime Weaver family favorite!